An anonymous mistress has posted a comment on my blog of last week ("Text Book MM") saying how her affair with an MM works for her; that she keeps her emotions in check, and sometimes doesn't even answer his calls - bravo sister.
Reading her story has given me an idea for today's blog - since there are so many SUW's out there (a.k.a single unmarried women - for anyone who hasn't read my book) let's talk for a minute about the single life, and the benefits of living it. And as I always say, being the 'other woman' is pretty much like being a single woman anyway, since your guy is never around when you need him, especially on holidays and special occasions. But, the upside of that, is why many of us have affairs in the first place. We want a man in our life (especially if he is the drop dead gorgeous, unavailable type eh) yet we don't want to give up our freedom, nor become tied to domestic duties for a significant other. (In fact, many (savvy) mistresses think and operate more like men than they realize.)
As an SUW, think of the pleasure of coming home to a calm, restful space, that is undisturbed. Of talking on the phone to your friends all night, or watching re-runs of Sex and the City in bed with a large bottle of shiraz, all without the worry of anyone telling you what to do, how you shouldn't drink so much, or changing channels etc. Come on girls, we have heard it all before...
However, whilst I think that the SUW and OW should make the most of being home alone, I don't want you to get all dark and despondent about feeling lonely: so here are a few tips to make sure the single life is worth living:
- Do revel in the fact that you can watch whatever you want on TV, whenever you want to
- Don't find yourself still on the sofa at 2am every morning watching the 24 hour news.
- Do enjoy a drink alone of an evening, it is ok to drink alone you know
- Don't get sloshed, nor rely on alcohol as company!
- Do have a dog or a cat as a house companion
- Don't treat your pet as a child, or ever refer to it as you 'baby' (ugh!)
- Do revel in the fact that you can have long, relaxing, scented baths
- Don't ever get so happy being alone, that you forget to go out and have some fun!